Financial Statement Fraud Business & Finance homework help
For this assignment, imagine you are as a certified fraud examiner. You have been hired by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) as a fraud prevention and detection expert. The position you were hired for is to provide training to SEC employees on lessons learned from financial statement fraud committed by publicly traded companies.
Using the Internet or Strayer databases, research at least two major fraud cases that were a result of financial statement fraud.
Write a 4–6 page paper in which you:
- Assess the culture of the organizations that you researched, analyzing the corporate culture or “tone at the top.”
- Assess the causes of the financial statement fraud(s) and the effectiveness of fraud prevention and detection at those companies based on the research you conducted. Provide support for your assessment.
- Propose what could/should have been implemented in those companies that would have prevented or detected the fraud, indicating who should have been responsible for the implementation. Provide support for your proposal.
- Explore the roles and responsibilities at these companies and assess whether that contributed to the fraud, indicating how these roles should be changed to prevent future fraudulent activity. Provide support for your rationale.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of SEC regulations and requirements, indicating improvements needed to detect fraud in the future. Provide support for your recommendations.
- Use at least three quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia, Investopedia, and similar websites do not qualify as quality resources. You have access to Strayer University’s Online Library and the iCampus University Library Research page.
This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Propose fraud prevention strategies based on corporate culture, financial statement fraud, and leadership responsibilities at a given company.