Inorganic i have questions for inorganic class. i need the asnewrs in less than four hours.
please read all the questions before you confirm and make sure
i have questions for inorganic class. i need the asnewrs in less than four hours.
please read all the questions before you confirm and make sure you know the ansewrs
. And please, please, please write semi-legibly and show your work when warranted.
1. 5pts Write a set of quantum numbers that uniquely identifies each of the five 4d orbitals.
2. 5pts Among the following atoms, which is likely to be the largest?
Na, Mg, K, Ca, Ga ___________
3. 5pts Determine the Russell-Saunders free ion term symbol for the ground state of a d6 ion. Determine the Russell-Saunders term symbol for a diamagnetic excited state (and draw it out so I know which one you choose).
4. 10pts The lanthanides are typically found in the +3 oxidation state. Using Slater’s rules, calculate the effective nuclear charge on the 6s and 4f electrons of Cerium. Which is more likely to be lost during the first oxidation step?
5. 5pts The periodic variation of first ionization energies is given in the figure below. Account for the trend that is observed in the fourth-period elements (K through Kr).
6. 5pts The first ionization potential of sodium is 495.8 kJ/mol, but the second IP is 4562.4 kJ/mol. Explain (written with words- you can use math, but I also want an explanation)
7. 10 pts We wish to begin a symmetry-based analysis for the vibrational modes in
(a) What is the point group of CHCl3?
(b) What would you choose to use as a basis set for vibrational (stretching) modes? (no need to perform the analysis- just indicate how you would start)
8. 10 pts Use VSEPR theory (Lewis dot structures) to predict the shape of the following:
SO32- and CLF3.
Draw the structure you would predict.
9. 30 pts Assign point groups to the molecules listed below. Indicate (with yes or
no) if the atoms are chiral and if they have dipole moments
(2pts each) Point Group chiral? dipole moment?
Selenium pentafluoride, SeF5-
(N-N = ethylene diamine, H2NCH2CH2NH2- treat it as ‘in the equatorial plane’)
10. 5pts Identify the “symmetry-equivalent” sets of atoms or groups for the Re2(Cl)8(O)2
complex in the previous question.